Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Sowing and Reaping: Good and Bad Ways of Judging

from Healing Victims of Sexual Abuse by Paula Sandford:

Many scripture references assure us that we will in no way lose our reward for the love and blessings that we sow (Matt 10:41,42; Mark 9:41; Eph 6:8; I Cor. 3:8; I Cor 3:14; Col 3:24; 2 Cor 9:6) . God’s laws were established before sin entered the picture. When man chose to sin, the same laws which had been created for mankind’s blessing continued to operate for negative reaping.

It is not that we are forbidden to judge. Necessarily we make judgments prior to every decision. Here are three examples of good and bad ways of judging:
1. Smoking is damaging to my health- I will ask for a table in the far corner of the non-smoking section.
2. Mrs T repeats everything she hears- I will confess my faults to someone else who has learned to respect and keep confidences.
3. My husband is tired and cross today- I will give him time to rest and get refreshed before I talk to him about Billy’s D in math.

These judgments are quite different from:
1. “What’s the matter with those self-centered inconsiderate so and sos who stink up the whole atmosphere with their stupid pollution?!”
2. “Mrs T’s tongue wags at both ends and in the middle. I wouldn’t tell her the time of day!”
3. “You’d think that a kid’s father would take some interest! All he ever does is come home and flop in front of the boob tube! He’s never here when I need him!”

Making those latter judgments is and almost sure guarantee that Mrs T Motormouth will capture you in the coffee shop after and exhausting day of shopping, and the only available seating will be in the smoking section. Two hours later, when you stagger home debilitated by the gossip and the stench of second-hand smoke, your husband will greet you with, “Where have you been? You look terrible! And why is it you never have dinner ready on time?”

Often we fail to see the relationship between our sowing and reaping...

No comments: